Site Archive‎ > ‎Civil Society Activists‎ > ‎Krivov‎ > ‎

Mikhail Fedotov asks Investigative Committee to look into Sergei Krivov's hunger strike

24 January 2013 

Source: (info
Chairman of the Presidential Human Rights Council Mikhail Fedotov has asked the Investigative Committee of Russia to set up a meeting between members of the Human Rights Council and department officials in order to discuss the situation of political prisoner Sergei Krivov, who has been on hunger strike for almost one and a half months.

According to, as reported by RIA Novosti, Fedotov made the request at a special meeting of the Human Rights Council.

Krivov, 51, and who holds a PhD in Physics and Mathematics, is the most recent person to be arrested in the Bolotnaya case. He was arrested on 18 October 2012 and charged with taking part in mass disturbances (Part 2 of Article 212 of the Criminal Code) and using violence against a public official (Part 1 of Article 318 of the Criminal Code). Krivov is a PARNAS (People's Freedom Party) activist and takes part in protest actions, including pickets in defence of the "Bolotnaya prisoners." This "Bolotnaya prisoner" has two children under 18 and a wife who is registered as category-2 disabled.

On 14 December, after the Basmanny Court in Moscow decided to extend his detention until 6 March, Krivov went on hunger strike. On 9 January 2013 Vladimir Makarov, lawyer for the the political prisoner, asked the head of the Investigative Committee Aleksandr Bastrykin to transfer his client to house arrest. On 14 January the Moscow City Court ruled that the opposition activist should remain in detention. On 16 January Makarov was removed from the case, leaving Krivov without a lawyer. On 18 January the political prisoner was moved into solitary confinement.

On 21 January Krivov was visited by Russian Human Rights Ombudsman Vladimir Lukin, who expressed doubts over whether the opposition activist's arrest was justified. "However, in order to conduct a proper review of the case, the ombudsman needs access to the accused as well as copies of the relevant court documents," said Lukin's press service.

On 22 January Deputy Head of the Moscow Public Monitoring Commission Andrei Babushkin said that Krivov had lost almost 18 kilograms during his time in the detention centre. The human rights activist asked Fedotov and Lukin to "consider changing Krivov's detention measures."

Krivov is refusing to give up his hunger strike. "I am thinking not only of myself, not only of my children. My hunger strike is my fight. The more fighters like me there are, the sooner we'll get a change of government," said the oppositionist. "I am not going to commit suicide, I have no intention of dying. It's more a case of freedom or hunger strike. I am not asking for the charges against me to be dropped. I will go on refusing food until they change my detention to house arrest."

On the evening of 22 January in Krasnopresnenskaya Zastava Square in Moscow the Union of Civil and Political Activists held an approved mass picket in support of Krivov. Shortly before the end of the rally the police arrested the picket organiser Natalya Nikolenko, who was charged under Part 2 of Article 20.2 of the Administrative Offences Code. A police officer also hit one of the rally participants Oleg Pykhtin with his rifle.