Demonstrations on 10 December see 600 Detained throughout Russia

Source: (info), 13/12/11 
According to the Inter-regional Information Group that has gathered data through questioning organizers and participants in the events and monitoring media, about 600 people were detained at demonstrations on 10 December in 35 Russian cities. reports that the largest number of detainees at protests against the election violations have been in Kazan and Syktyvkar (about 100 detainees in each city); Tyumen and Khabarovsk (about 50 in each); Belgorod and St. Petersburg (about 30). About 20 people were detained in each of the cities of Ekaterinburg, Komsomolsks-na-Amur, Kurgan and Taganrog. There were between 10 and 20 detainees in Tolyatti, Perm, Bryansk, Pyatigorsk, Tula, Rostov-on-Don and Kostroma. There were up to 10 detainees in Ivanovo, Kaluga, Makhachkala, Krasnodar, Cheboksar, Chita, Tver, Sochi, Moscow, Vyborg and Samara. One person was detained in Kemerovo, Angarsk, Blagoveshchensk, Voronezh, Nizhny Tagil, Ulyanovsk and Ufa. In Ufa the person detained was beaten by police officers.

The Inter-regional Information Group stresses that this information may not be complete. “There could also be many detentions in small towns about which we know nothing because no information has reached us from there,” the Group said.

In Ryazan on 10 December Sergei Ezhov, leader of the local branch of The Other Russia party, was sentenced to 9 days in prison for failing to follow police instructions during a peaceful demonstration against electoral fraud, organized with his participation on 8 December. According to the press service of The Other Russia, four police officers snatched Ezhov from the crowd and carried him to the police wagon without in any way making any demands of him.

At a rally for free and fair elections in Syktyvkar the police used brutal force to detain Ernest Mezak, a member of the board of the Komi Memorial Human Rights Commission. Ernest Mezak was injured when police officers kicked him during arrest. When he later felt unwell at the police station, the personnel staffing the ambulance that was called gave an initial diagnosis of concussion. From the hospital Mezak was taken to court where he was fined 1,000 roubles for violating the regulations for conducting a public event. Two hours before the rally another member of Komi Memorial Human Rights Commission, Pavel Safronov, had also been detained. Safronov was released on 12 December.
Rights in Russia,
14 Dec 2011, 01:24