The Tajik Case is Over

posted 30 Nov 2011, 11:59 by Rights in Russia   [ updated 30 Nov 2011, 12:01 ]
Svetlana Gannuskina, 28/11/11 


· Articles by human rights defenders  · Moscow city & Moscow region  · Refugees & migrants 

That evening, on returning home from work, one of the men went to do his laundry. When he pulled a basin out from under his bed, he found a packet of extremist pamphlets. The packet did not belong to any of those living there. The men decided, on reflection, not to inform the police about this discovery, but to destroy the documents, and wasted no time in doing so. The next day, 20 October, several cars drove up to the migrant workers' home with officers from various security agencies wearing masks (the migrant workers believed they were from the FSB and the police), as well as a bomb technician, photographers, and dogs. They got the men down on the floor, handcuffed them, and beat three of them. They searched the place. The bed under which the pamphlets had been found was smashed to pieces. They were busy for a long time in the house. The women saw that some black packages were brought onto the premises... 


The court verdict in the so-called 'Tajik Case' has entered into force. Of the six Tajiks who were originally charged, and the twenty Dagestanis questioned during the investigation, only two appeared in the dock – Alisher Otadzhonzade and Akbardzhon Otaboev. 

On 3 November 2011 in Ostankinsky district court in Moscow, both were found guilty of violating Article 222, Section 2 (illegal acquisition, transfer, sale, possession, transport, or carrying of weapons or the basic components thereof, ammunition, explosive materials, or explosive devices) of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation. They were sentenced to two-and-a-half years' imprisonment in a standard regime penal colony. They began serving their sentences on 2 November 2010, which means that in three months' time the two men will be eligible to apply for early release on parole. [Read more]